Not everyone thinks of Dubai as a land of adventurers. The world city has a reputation for luxury, opulence, and modernist-chic. But just beyond the city bounds is the desert, where adventurers can race over dunes, trek on a camel, or surf the timeless sands.
Choosing the best desert safari in Dubai, however, isn’t easy, with numerous vendors running trips and activities in the nearby landscape.
In 2023, Dubai’s desert safaris have evolved beyond a short tour into full-fledged immersive experiences promising adrenaline, tranquility, and cultural insights. Whether watching a golden sunset from camelback or indulging in a Bedouin-style evening under the stars, there’s an adventure tailored just for you.
In this article, we’ll break down the crème de la crème of desert escapades, helping you choose the best desert safari Dubai has to offer.
Not sure how to pick the best desert safari in Dubai? We’ve got you covered. As you evaluate the different tour operators, keep these three factors in mind:
Always consider the experience and reputation of the desert safari tour operator. Running a safari is more than buying a 4 x 4 and driving adventurers into the desert. You’ll want to ensure your safety as you joyride in your dune buggy or have a reliable ride back to the hotel.
That all takes experience. Established operators are more likely to provide a seamless safari and prioritize customer safety – which is paramount for desert activities. Reading online reviews and testimonials from past customers can ensure you get a good insight into what to expect.
Price matters – your safari’s cost will depend on your chosen activities, the transport provided, and other amenities. While opting for the cheapest option might be tempting, remember you get what you pay for.
Cheaper safari operators usually rely on customers using public transport, and their activities are often substandard. Whereas, for a little bit extra, you’ll be picked up in a 4 x 4, get a full meal, and experience thrilling activities all afternoon.
Also, check if there are any hidden fees or charges that might surprise you later.
The best desert safaris are about more than dune bashing. They include a cocktail of adventure, culture, and relaxation. Before booking, review what’s part of the package.
Some operators might offer quad biking, sandboarding, camel rides, traditional dance performances, henna painting, and even a desert BBQ dinner under the stars. Decide which activities are a must-have for you and see if they’re included in the package you’re considering.
Dubai’s desert is more than just a barren expanse; it’s an adventure playground waiting to be explored. There are tons of activities to try, either alone or as part of a package. So, whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or prefer a serene moment beneath the stars, here are the must-try activities for your Dubai desert safari:
- Dune Buggies: At the heart of any desert safari is dune bashing, where you’ll be securely seated in a 4×4 vehicle maneuvering it over steep sand dunes at thrilling speeds. The roller-coaster-like experience amid golden sands is both exhilarating and unforgettable.
- Sandboarding: Think of it as snowboarding, but on sand. Strap on a board and glide down the silky-smooth dunes. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, sandboarding offers a unique way to connect with the desert landscape.
- Camel Riding: Dubbed the ‘ships of the desert,’ camels have been vital to Bedouin life for centuries. A camel trek offers a more relaxed pace, allowing you to appreciate the vastness and beauty of the desert surroundings.
- Falconry Display: The falcon is a revered bird in Emirati culture. Some safari packages include a falconry show, where you can witness the bird’s agility and grace in action and even try your hand at holding one.
- Star Gazing: Far from city lights, the desert offers a pristine environment for stargazing. Lie back on traditional Majlis-style cushions and lose yourself in the wonders of the night sky.
- Bedouin Camp Experience: For a taste of traditional desert life, some safaris conclude with a visit to a Bedouin-style camp. Here, you can indulge in a buffet of local dishes, get intricate henna designs on your hands, and watch cultural performances like the Tanoura dance.
Currently, over a dozen tour operators claim to have the best desert safari in Dubai. We’ve cut the list down to the top three for you to pick from.
1. Go Trips DXB
Go Trips DXB isn’t like other safari adventures. There’s no public transport. No Ubers. No poor quality activities. At Go Trips, we use our unmatched expertise to create phenomenal desert safaris tailored to you.
Tell us what you want to do, and we’ll organize it. Our drivers will pick you up at 2 PM and have you safely back by 9 PM at the latest.
Our activities include sandboarding, camel rides, falcon show, buggy rides, and even the best nighttime safari experience available. You’ll relax in a desert camp with an all-you-can-eat buffet and traditional Bedouin entertainment.
2. Arabian adventures
Arabian Adventures runs several different desert adventures, from basic private vehicle hire to the exclusive desert experience. These adventures do tend to be more expensive, for what’s included. However, you’ll get a chance to try out all the top activities as part of your package.
3. OceanAir Travels
OceanAir Travels’ desert adventure is a highly recommended desert safari operator. Their packages include dune buggies, camel treks, sandboarding, quad bikes, and more. You’ll also get a 5* BBQ at Al Khayma Camp in the heart of the desert alongside henna art and Arabian costume photos.
Looking to explore the delights of Dubai’s boundless deserts? There’s only one choice: Go Trips is a much-renowned tour operator running the best desert safari in Dubai. Trust in our years of experience, multilingual service, and incredible activities.
But we’re not just about adrenaline – our camp includes henna, shisha, traditional entertainment, and delicious culinary delights. Oh, and we’ll also capture your experience with stunning professional photographs.
Book your desert safari today – get ready for your next adventure!